By Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (auth.), Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (eds.)
The historical past of computing has its origins on the outset of civilization. As cities and groups developed there has been a necessity for more and more subtle calculations. This booklet lines the evolution of computation, from early civilisations 3000 B.C. to the newest key advancements in sleek times.
This important and full of life textual content offers a accomplished creation to the most important issues within the background of computing, in an easy-to-follow and concise demeanour. It covers the numerous components and occasions within the box - from the traditional Egyptians via to the current day - and either provides the reader a flavour of the historical past and stimulates extra examine within the subject.
• excellent for undergraduate classes, it deals many pedagogical gains resembling chapter-opening key themes, bankruptcy introductions, routines, bankruptcy summaries, word list, etc.
• bargains specified info on significant figures in computing, reminiscent of Boole, Babbage, Shannon , Turing and Von Neumann
• incorporates a historical past of programming languages, together with syntax and semantics
• provides an summary of the background of software program engineering
• Discusses the development of man-made intelligence, with extension to such key disciplines as philosophy, psychology, linguistics, neural networks and cybernetics
• Examines the heritage of the web revolution, world-wide-web and Dot-Com Bubble
• Follows the evolution of a couple of significant expertise businesses reminiscent of IBM, Motorola and Microsoft
Focusing at the primary parts within the computing box, this essentially written and broad-ranging textual content will trap the eye of the reader and tremendously gain computing device technology scholars. furthermore, it's compatible for self-study, and also will be of curiosity to the extra informal reader.
Dr Gerard O’Regan is a CMMI software program approach development advisor with examine pursuits together with software program caliber and software program approach development; mathematical techniques to software program caliber; and the heritage of computing. He has released A useful method of software program Quality and Mathematical techniques to software program Quality.
Read or Download A Brief History of Computing PDF
Best history_1 books
;Sea Eagles quantity One: Luftwaffe Anti-Shipping devices 1939-1941 (Luftwaffe shades) КНИГИ ;ВОЕННАЯ ИСТОРИЯ Название: Sea Eagles quantity One: Luftwaffe Anti-Shipping devices 1939-1941 (Luftwaffe Colours)Автор: Chris GossИздательство: vintage PublicationsISBN: 1903223555Год: 2006Страниц: 101Формат: PDF в RARРазмер: 35.
Ships: The heritage and Specification of three hundred World-Famous КНИГИ ;ВОЕННАЯ ИСТОРИЯ Издательство: Silverdale BooksАвтор(ы): Chris BishopЯзык: EnglishГод издания: 2005Количество страниц: 320ISBN: 1-84509-303-8Формат: pdf OCRРазмер: 57,7 mbFeatures three hundred mercantile and army ships from precedent days to the current day: - every one send is illustrated with a color paintings and short provider heritage - complete necessities for every send comprise displacement, dimensions, armament, velocity and supplement RAPIDили IFOLDER eighty five
- The Philadelphia Big 5: great moments in Philadelphia's storied college basketball history
- The King's Two Maps: Cartography & Culture in Thirteenth-Century England (Studies in Medieval History and Culture, 22)
- The Armies of Bactria 700BC - 450 AD (2)
- Im Namen der Geschichte: Sammeln - Speichern - - Er/Zählen. Infrastrukturelle Konfigurationen des deutschen Gedächtnisses
Additional info for A Brief History of Computing
An ancient Antikythera was discovered in 1902 in a week off the Greek island of Antikythera, and dates from about 80 BC. It is one of the oldest known geared devices, and it 19 Chrysippus was the head of the Stoics in the third century BC. 18 1 Early Civilisations is believed that it was used for calculating the position of the sun, moon, stars and planets for a particular date entered. The device is comparable in the complexity of its parts and gear arrangement as clocks in the eighteenth century.
Rowan Hamilton, (who discovered Quaternions) was another famous recipient of this prize. Hamilton was awarded the medal in 1835. Boole was elected a fellow of the Royal Society in 1857. 3 Queens University Cork is now called University College Cork (UCC) and has about 15,000 students. It is located in Cork city in the south of Ireland. Queens University Belfast and Queens University Galway (now NUI, Galway) were founded the same year. 2 Boole 31 neither sheep nor black. Similarly, if z = goats then y + z represents the class that are either sheep or goats.
The Sulva Sutras is a Hindu text that documents Indian mathematics and it dates from about 400 BC. The Indian mathematicians were familiar with the statement and proof of Pythagoras’s theorem, and were familiar with Rational numbers, quadratic equations, as well as the calculation of the square root of 2 to five decimal places. Panini was a fifth century BC. Indian mathematician and linguist who did pioneering work on phonetics and morphology for the Sanskrit language. His work on grammar allowed sentences to be formed from a set of rules, and is the earliest known work on linguistics and formal grammars.
A Brief History of Computing by Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (auth.), Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (eds.)